Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Just Desserts


As good as it looks
Thoughts of sweeties are dancing in my head like sugarplums this Tips, Tricks and Treats Tuesday.  I have test-eaten all of the following goodies and they've all been given the two-forks-up approval from me and the family.

First on the dessert tray is Krispie Ice Cream Dessert. This recipe is just right for a summer gathering as it only has 4 ingredients (more if you desire extra toppings that I didn't use), one of those ingredients is ice cream (yum!), it makes enough for a small crowd as it's made in a 13x9" pan and, duh, it tastes scrumptious.
It's cool and creamy and is reminiscent of fried ice cream.  The recipe calls for 3/4 cup of butter but I used 1/2 cup and it turned out fine.  I didn't use the caramel sauce shown in the photo but I'm guessing it would've been a nice extra flavor.  Here's the link for this chilly delight...
http://www.chef-in-training.com/2013/04/krispie-ice-cream-dessert/







Simplicity at it's best
I made the next two desserts not long ago and they both went over well.  Some preferred one more than the other but all that tried the two treats liked the pair.  

2 Ingredient Pumpkin Brownies is another recipe great for a crowd, especially if they like chocolate! They're dense with chocolate flavor, almost like a cross between a brownie and fudge and they really couldn't be much simpler to prepare...brownie mix/can of pumpkin, throw in 350 degree oven, wait 20 minutes and done. Score!  The only change I made was to use a 13x9" pan instead of the 9x9" suggested then baked it 20 minutes and it was hunky-dunky.  If it matters, it's also a bit better for you than other baked goods as fat is cut down and sneaky nutrition is a bonus from the added pumpkin. Score again! Here's the link for chocolate-ee goodness... 

http://cookiesandcups.com/2-ingredient-pumpkin-brownies/




Wow, just wow...
Last and CERTAINLY not least is Strawberry Shortcake Icebox Cake.  This is, by a teeny-tiny margin, my favorite of the bunch.  It's also probably the worst nutrition-wise...sigh...but such is life.  Just don't eat it every week and you should be good :)  This frozen indulgence is comparable to Good Humor's Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Bar...gad it's good!  If you could slap a giant wooden stick in it what a dream-treat you'd have!  This is another crowd pleaser made in the same trusty 13x9" pan and is actually not to tricky to make.  I do have a few changes to the original recipe though...I used two 8oz tubs of Cool Whip instead of two 16 oz ones (and good thing as my daughter suggested I use a tad less Cool Whip!); I used 36 animal crackers instead of  10 shortbread cookies (cheaper and a bit better for you) and 15 strawberry wafer cookies instead of 10 (this made more than you need for the topping but I just saved the extra to use as a topping for plain vanilla ice cream, so just use less cookies if you don't want extra); and finally I found that you need 15 slices of pound cake to cover the bottom of the pan properly, not the 12 suggested.  The trickiest part of preparation was spreading on the layers evenly which wasn't really all that difficult.  And, as I stare at the photo example, I see that there's only one ice cream layer and one Cool Whip layer, but the recipe calls for repeating the ice cream and topping layers.  I wish I would've noticed that earlier as it would've been even easier to make! So here's the link for this strawberry sweet-treat...

http://mariahspleasingplates.com/strawberry-shortcake-icebox-cake/

So make one or make them all...I'm sure you and yours will be delighted :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Give me a bleat back