Friday, July 31, 2015

I think I'll have a cool one


I can almost feel that frigid air wafting out of the door of delight!
Ah, Summer!  I'm not fond of all the heat and humidity it brings but I am partial to the ice cream that seems to be an integral part of this season.  So, I thought I'd look fondly back this Flashback Friday at a staple in my neighborhood back in the day and 










that would be the Good Humor Man and his trusty white truck filled with sumptuous frozen goodies.  The video to the right gives you a quick history of these harbingers of cool and tasty joy.

It was such fun to scan the menu on the side of the bell-chiming vehicle and deciding what you wanted for that days treat.  Many times I'd have to go for the good but cheap choices, such as a Screwball (loved the bubblegum on the bottom, the best of both sweet worlds), a Bombpop or a Pushup.






The Grail of the Good Humor Truck
 However, there were times I could splurge and get a premium item, such as a Strawberry Shortcake Bar or, my #1 flavor-ite, the Chocolate Fudge Cake.  I couldn't find a photo of one, but the Candy Center Crunch is very similar to it.  The main attraction to me was that lovely chunk of frozen chocolate to savor later after the ice cream part was all tucked away in my tum-tum.  Ah, what chocolate nirvana!

The sound of the approaching bells, the sight of that white truck with it's matching white-clad man, the feeling of the poof of icy air when the magic door opened as the ice cream man reached in for your selection, the heightened smell of chilled sugar as you unwrapped your prize and, of course, the taste of melting yumminess gloriously overtaking your tongue all played together in a Good Humor Summer Symphony.  I don't know about you, but suddenly I have an urge to head to my freezer...:it's not the same as the Good Humor Truck but, alas, it will have to do :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Give me a bleat back