Wednesday, May 27, 2015

My Favorite Places-Mackinaw City


The Bridge in my dreams :)
I was scratching my proverbial head thinking of what to write about for today's W/E Wednesday and after some playing around on the web I finally came up with an idea.  I've been to a lot of places so I thought I'd make "My Favorite Places" a recurring piece.  One of my very special-est places to visit is 










If you like to eat fish, a definite must!
Mackinaw City.  There are many parks along the shoreline with great views of the Mackinac Bridge and I relish simply sitting on one of the benches and soaking in the atmosphere.  By the way, Mackinaw City is spelled with the "aw", while the island and bridge are spelled Mackinac with the "ac" which is it's proper spelling.  The city went for the phonetic spelling, I believe, for visitor's ease.  

Next to the bridge, my fav-ooo-rite place to go in the city is Scalawags.  If you enjoy whitefish you just have to check it out.  They have some of the best whitefish I've ever savored!  If you go early enough in the year, like May-ish, they have tasty smelt if you're into that.  It's location is slightly tucked into the Mackinaw Crossings shopping plaza, just off Central Ave. (the "main drag" of downtown).




Lots of good stuff in here!
One last favorite of mine is a shop called Strait to the Pantry (and yes, Strait is correct as it's a play on the nearby Straits of Mackinac).  This store is located in the previously mentioned Mackinaw Crossings and is a must-visit if you like food and free samples.  I love going inside to try all the different "Michigan and Midwest produced Gourmet Specialty Foods".  Yum fun!  

Although these are some of MY favorites, perhaps if you give these destinations a try some may end up becoming YOUR favorites, too!










No comments:

Post a Comment

Give me a bleat back