Monday, May 4, 2015

We got the beat


Very true

The week has pulsed on to yet another Mesmerizing Medium Monday and today I thought I'd bang on the topic of music, specifically the percussion section.  I am a bit prejudiced to this particular section of a musical ensemble as my daughter is, as I believe I mentioned












Veruca's Senior Recital
 not too long ago, a percussionist/drummer.  I have had a LOT of experience as a Drum Mom and learned through this that the percussionist tends to be overlooked or taken for granted when they actually are, for the most part, the backbone/heartbeat of the musical ensemble.  Next time you listen to music, classical in particular, pay attention to how the percussion section adds "emotion" to the piece.  






Here's a great example.  Now this song, to me, is one of the greatest EVER and demonstrates how valuable the percussion section is.  Every section adds it's own emotion to what you hear, but the percussion really drives it over the top and soaring into the sky.  













One more case in point is music in the movies with an emphasis on those horror flicks.  Percussion adds a depth and flair that no other instrument can provide.  Plus, there are a plethora of percussive instruments which provides an expansive range of sounds to choose from.  The one in the clip to the right is an extra-creepy sounding percussion instrument called a Waterphone.









I would be lax if I left you hanging at the end here without a video that has a jolly good rhythm to it, just as my blog title suggests. Groove to that percussive beat, kiddies :)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Give me a bleat back