Thursday, June 4, 2015

The Paper Trail War


This should pretty much resolve the over/under issue!





Somewhere along my online journeys I ran into the image to the left and it's accompanying info and it got me to thinking...and how appropriate since it's Thoughtful/Thankful Thursday!  The diagram is the patent for the original toilet paper roll from 1891 and this should pretty much clear up any over/under controversy as to how the 















Just to show both sides of the story...even though it's wrong :)
end of the roll should hang.  Seth Wheeler (hey, a thought just popped in my gray matter...maybe we should start calling our t.p. a "wheel" instead of a "roll" in honor of Seth.  Plus it does spin like a wheel!) clearly shows in his explanation that the end should go OVER.

Just to be fair, I'll include arguments from both sides of the Paper Trail War.  The diagram above explains the advantages of the "Under" camp.  The cat/child is a valid reason but the earthquake/rv idea is pretty weak. And as for a "tidier appearance", well I totally do not agree (can you guess what side I'm on?).  As you can see, Ann Landers endorsed this position but after scads of rebuttal mail (probably of the angry variety) she retracted her view and joined the other side.  However when she did this, she received more mail (again, probably angry) from the Unders.  She has stated that this was one of the most controversial items in her column's history. Us humans are such a fun lot!

Ah, harmony!
Now for Seth's choice, remembering he was the INVENTOR of the toilet paper roll (wheel, as I like to think of it). As we can see, the advantages here are all fine, valid reasons.  In fact, let us not overlook a key word in two of the three advantages...easier.  Now really, why wouldn't we want to make our lives easier in anyway we can and putting your t.p wheel (roll for you conservatives out there) in the "over" position is just another way we can accomplish that. Plus, it just looks "right" to have that end flowing gently over, ready for your eager hand.

I hope this clarifies, once and for all, how our toilet paper should trail in our bathrooms.  Or perhaps I have stirred up more controversy as Ann Landers did and I might possibly get some comments on this "tissue issue"!












No comments:

Post a Comment

Give me a bleat back