Monday, April 20, 2015

Gotta go Zydeco

Gator like to dance
Well, it's the start of another week and time for Mesmerizing Medium Monday.  Dance is a beautiful art form and I don't think I've touched on it yet, so here it goes.

I went exploring the web and found an exhaustive list of dance forms and went to the very end of the alphabet and found Zydeco.  I think this caught my fish-eye (pun alert) since I was somewhat familiar with the Zydeco music form, making 















this post a double-tap covering two mesmerizing mediums.  This dance style has folk dance roots and matches the aforementioned Zydeco Music in it's syncopation (which just means the beats of the tune are unexpected or off a "normal" beat).  The video to the right gives you a basic idea of how it's done.












The dancers to the left appear to have been practicing quite a bit!  It seems that the biggest "rule" is to basically mirror your partner with a sprinkling of minor deviations and your steps are more of a low shuffle.  It seems pretty fun to me since I love the beat...and I can dance to it :)








This last video is what introduced me to Zydeco quite a many years ago and it's from Sesame Street!  You may laugh, but I've learned a lot from that show even when I watched it with my daughter as and adult (which is when I first saw this video).  I bet a lot of you reading this learned bunches from the Sunny Days Place but may not want to admit it!  Anywho, this snippet  seems to capture the whole Lou-wheez-anna feeling of Zydeco where it got it's start back at the beginning of the 20th century from the Creole folks of Acadiana (S.W. LA).  It helped me to appreciate that Zydeco style and I hope that infectious syncopated beat got your toes tapping and makes you exclaim "Gotta go Zydeco!"












No comments:

Post a Comment

Give me a bleat back