Thursday, April 30, 2015

How Grand!


The Grand Old Gal
On this Thoughful/Thankful Thursday I decided to concentrate on the thankful.  For me, there are skads of things I am blessed with but, since the weather has been doing a flip for the better lately, my thoughts drifted to traveling.  My hub and I love to hit the road and venture into places unknown, at least to us.  That being said, we have our favorite places and Mackinac Island (not Mackinaw like the on-shore city) is right near the top of








Festooned with Old Glory
our proverbial list. To narrow my scope even further I'll chat about The Grand Hotel.  I have a backlog of wonderful memories about The Grand...Matey and I honeymooned there and returned a few times for special Anniversaries.  Even if we didn't book a room, we would visit her (sorry, but "she's" like an old, charming friend to me) on our frequent visits to the island.  









What a beauty



Building of The Grand started in 1886 and was open for visitors in 1887, charging $3 to $5 a night.  Times sure have changed in the room rate respect!  













A different view
The Grand Hotel's Front Porch is the world's largest at 660 feet, which is grand enough in itself!  You actually have to have proof of your accommodations at the hotel to be able to stroll along it or have a rock in one of the many chairs available.  However you can walk along the front and take a gander for free! 










Perspectives in dining 



Dining at The Grand is an experience in itself- heck that's a large part of the reason why I like to go there!  The Main Dining Room seats over 750 guests and the kitchen staff of 100 serves about 4,000 meals per day.  I read a review of someone complaining that the food was "dull" but I suppose there's no accounting for taste, literally and figuratively!  I always thoroughly relished the meals, especially the Grand Pecan Ball which is the most popular dessert.












Even though she's about 128 years old, the Old Gal stays up late!


My love affair with Mackinac Island started over 45 years ago when we took a family trip there, and it's Crown Jewel, The Grand Hotel herself, was always an eye-ogling sight to behold...she's even the first object you can make out on the ferry trip to the island!

The Grand Old Lady has provided me with many wondrous memories to be thankful for and I hope she'll supply me with more in the future :)








All photos by CCB





No comments:

Post a Comment

Give me a bleat back